June 19 – Crossing Borders

By Naomi Crisp



We were leaving for Zambia this morning and I was so excited I woke up at 3:30 and couldn’t fall back to sleep. It wasn’t too bad though as Frank was in the same boat and we kept each other company. After doing my usual Mel updates I had nothing to do so I cleared up the hostel. By the time 4:30 rolled around I had nothing more to do so I thought I would take the opportunity to talk about Warepigs. The village has a pig hut close to the hostel where 1 or 2 pigs live along with a few piglets. During the day you see the piglets squeeze out of a hole and run around the area while you hear the barnyard squeals of the pigs inside. As evening takes over, the squealing becomes more intense as if there is some form of torturing ritual occurring. This is not the end of the dismay, at night it is a whole other story. The squealing subsides and the strange growling begins. It is not the typical piggish grunt that we are used to hearing but more of a cross between a spooked horse, and an enraged bear with only a hint of pig (just to remind you of its daytime form). The more I think about it the freakier it gets. I have come to the solid conclusion that the big pigs morph into horrific Warepigs. If you have seen the movie `The Village` (appropriate title and all) I am picturing the monsters that hide in their forest and attack people. Don’t be fooled by the piglets either, no longer are those sneaky creatures cute in my mind. The piglets are the Warepig`s spies that can escape during the day to scope out the area and report back. I have yet to decipher their master plan, but I am onto them. The lesson of this story is: DON`T TRUST PIGS!

Now back to my day, we first had to go to Lilongwe to trade our bus back to good old Shake and Break before we were actually on route to Zambia. We got to the border and had to fill out the forms to cross. It was the most slack border crossing I have ever seen! The security looked at my passport; I paid $50 and walked into Zambia. It wasn’t too far of a drive until we were on the dirt temporary roads heading to our campsite … and then we got lost. We wound up in a small town where we asked for directions which then ultimately made us backtrack onto more temporary roads driving further and further into Zambia, where we eventually headed into a village. Worried we were lost again we tried to turn around to find some people to ask for directions … and then we got stuck. The more we tried to move the deeper into the sand we went. While a few villagers tried to help, I kept the children entertained by teaching them Jump On It and the YMCA, needless to say it was quite the sight to see. After many attempts and many more villagers later we were out of the hole! Everyone erupted into cheer but were silenced as the bus sank into another hole… and then we got stuck again. After the sun had gone down and a lot more pushing, we were out and on the main dirt road once again. We went down the road that felt like a safari until we reached Zikomo Safari Lodge/Camp. They welcomed us with lemonade flutes and face cloths and a delicious meal; you could not get better service than that.  We set up the tents in the dark then headed straight to bed. Well… after the guard told us we were being too loud from laughing of course.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Please enter the information before posting *