In this section, you will find resources to better understand and assist students with various learning needs.
This main page contains multiple articles on topics for teaching students with special needs.
- Basic instructional techniques
- Using Ipods for testing
- Concept mapping and Science
- An overview of Developmental Disabilities
- Hearing Impairment and reading
- Down Syndrome and Inclusion
- Epilepsy and what teachers need to know
Centre for Attention Deficit Disorder Awareness Canada (CADDAC)
The CADDAC site contains information on ADHD across the ages, assessment and diagnosis information, and resources such as videos and podcasts. The Understanding ADHD tab contains a drop down menu. By selecting In Education from this menu, you will access a section called Classroom Accommodations. This section will provide you with teaching strategies and accommodations for your students.
This site includes:
- Free printable picture cards for visual/functional communication systems
- A section on social emotional skills
- A teacher toolbox with suggestions on how to adapt your classroom with your students’ needs in mind
- Resources for behaviour management plans
- Definitions of disabilities and their respective characteristics and strategies
- Materials to create necessary classroom items, such as visual schedules
This site is loaded with resources designed to save you time!
This site contains a definition of dyslexia under the Dyslexia Basics tab. Under the Resources tab, you will find book suggestions, videos (documentaries, videos for kids and videos about celebrities with dyslexia), IEP information and a Resource Guide to Dyslexia (a 43 page Dyslexia Toolkit).
This site contains articles on various topics pertaining to special needs. Topics include ADHD, red flags of a learning issue, inclusion, dyslexia and IEPs. A special section is dedicated to emotional intelligence. It contains articles to help with parenting challenges (respect, discipline, etc.) and character building (confidence, empathy, independence, etc.).
International Dyslexia Association
This site provides a definition of dyslexia under the About Dyslexia tab. The Professionals tab contains a 15 page downloadable handbook called Dyslexia in the Classroom. The Resources section is rich with information for teachers including, but not limited to, videos, conference recordings and webinars.
Learning Disabilities Association of Canada
This site contains is divided into two sections. If you select LD Defined, you will access a comprehensive definition of learning disabilities (LD). LD Basics will provide information about Myths and Realities, Signs of LD, Prevalence of LD, Understading LD and its manifestations.
LD Online explores various learning disabilites. It includes descriptions, signs of disabilities and how to respond to students with Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Auditory and Visual Processing Disorders, Nonverbal Learning Disabilities and ADHD.